Identity Theft

If you suspect that you may have exposed your personal information to an unauthorized individual, you should:

  • Reset your exposed passwords.
  • Contact the support team of the institutions where your passwords were exposed.
  • If you received the e-mail message through your Princeton email address, contact Princeton University's Department of Public Safety.
  • If the information provided can be used to access other institutions, contact them as well. For example, if your credit card number was exposed, contact your credit card company. If any piece of information was exposed that could be used to open financial accounts (e.g., your social security number, date of birth, place of birth, mother's maiden name, bank account numbers, credit card numbers), contact your credit card company or any of the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and sign up for their credit monitoring service.
  • Contact national agencies dealing with Internet fraud: